Saturday, October 1, 2011

Ups and Downs

Horse ownership can have a lot of ups and downs. The past few days have been just that.

On Wednesday, my farrier told me of a mare owned by one of his clients who was looking for a good home. The mare was in her 20s, sound, but had been diagnosed with Cushings (having grown up with Arabs, with whom Cushings is rather common, I had no issue with that). He'd thought of me because I'd told him I was looking for a quiet horse to use for a few lessons a week, and who could double as a low-level show mount for a couple of my students. I called the owner, but got no answer. Then on Thusday night I went to go watch a friend ride her horse after I got done with work for the day, and she mentioned that the lady who had been leasing one of her other horses and had been planning to buy her had had to back out of the deal after her husband put the kibosh on it. Long story short, I ended up not with an aging warmblood mare, but with a 9 year old red chestnut tb mare. I adore her and have for over a year, and I have no doubt that this horse is going to help me move up the levels in Dressage. But she's also quiet and sweet enough to tolerate my lesson kids showing her in some flat classes next season. Definitely a good deal! However, because of needing to give the barn 30 days notice as per their policy, I won't be able to bring Margeux home until the end of the month.

Fast forward to this afternoon. After teaching group riding this morning, I took Rose out and used her for a beginner lesson, in which she was a saint, then put her back in her stall and went to teach another lesson on Shay. Shay had had a heavy-ish workout yesterday, but had been reluctant on his right lead - usually his stronger lead. He hadn't been off, so I had simply figured he was a bit tired or sore, cooled him out, and rinsed him with a liniment brace just to be sure he was comfortable. Pulled him out, got the kid on, and after one walk circle it was clear that he was lame - sore/pulled muscle in the right haunch or gaskin. So I apologized to my lesson kid and went to switch horses. After giving Shay some banamine and explaining why he would later need to be cold hosed and given a few days off, I went to put him back in his pen. At that time, another student who is going to be half-leasing Rose had her in the crossties. Shay suddenly ran backwards and kicked Rose in the back of her thigh, just above the hock on her right side, leaving a shallow gash and taking off a lot of hair. It was just the one kick before Rose scooted away as far as the crossties would let her and I was able to get Shay forward. He's not usually aggressive (it was the first time I've ever seen him kick other than in play with a pasture buddy), and it left all of us stunned - it was very out of character. Shay will be fine with bute and a few days of rest, then some handwalking and a few days of walking under saddle - he needs about a week off or so. Rose wasn't terribly sore and the cut wasn't deep enough to require stitches, and I was able to get some Banamine in her almost immediately as well. How lame she'll be remains to be seen. >_< I suspect she too will be out of commission for about a week. So now I'm up one lovely new Dressage mare, and temporarily down two of my primary lesson horses for a week. >_< That's what you call taking the good with the bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment